Mandawa is a town in Jhunjhunu district of Rajasthan in India. It is part of Shekhawati region. The inhabitants of Shekhawati are considered brave, sacrificing and hard working people. The region provides the highest number of people to the Indian Army. Mandawa is situated 190 km of Jaipur in the north. The town lies between latitude 28°.06’ in the north and longitude 75°.20’ in the east. It has an average elevation of 316 metres (1036 ft). In the north side it has four villages named Bazisar, Kamalsar, Kuharu, and Godu ka bas and east side three villages named Tetara(Chandrpura), Syopura, and Hanumanpura (Dular ka bas), south sides villages names are Mithwas, Dinwa Ladhkhani and west side are Khalasi, Sadinsar, Tihawali, and Dabari.
The City of Mandawa was made a Thikana in the mid of 18th century by the Bhojraj Ji Kasubsub clan of Shekhawat Rajputs. About the origin of this town there have been earlier references to Mandu Jat as founder of the Mandawa village. He first established a dhani (hamlet) and dug a well here, which was completed on savan badi 5 samvat 1797 (1740 AD) (source – Shekhawati Bodh, Mandawa special issue, July 2005). Initially this place was known as ‘Mandu ki dhani’, ‘Mandu ka bas’ or ‘Manduwas’ which changed to ‘Manduwa’, ‘Mandwa’ and finally ‘Mandawa’.
A remote feudal principality in the centre of the Shekhawati region, Mandawa was a trading outpost for the ancient caravan routes that stopped here from China and the Middle East. Thakur Nawal Singh, son of Shardul Singh, founded the fort in vikram samvat 1812 (1755 AD) to protect this outpost. The township that grew around the fort soon attracted a large community of traders, who settled here.
The fort dominates the town with a painted arched gateway adorned with Lord Krishna and his cows. Built as per a medieval theme .Rooms in the palace are decorated with paintings of Lord Krishna, exquisite carvings and amazing mirror work. The palace’s Durbar Hall houses a number of antiques and paintings.
As of 2001 India census Mandawa had a population of 20,717. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Mandawa has an average literacy rate of 58%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 70%, and female literacy is 45%. In Mandawa, 18% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Mandawa is one of the beautiful town .There were so many historical places like temples Forts and Havelies. Fort s Havelies town is located a few kilometers away from Jaipur.This town is also known as its rich history.
The Shekhawati region has produced large number of Marwaris who are dominant factor in the economy of India. About 80 percent of big industrial houses are managed by Marwaris. India’s richest industrialists of the century, such as the Birlas and Dalmia, are Marwaris. Today, the main trading and industrial houses of India have their roots in Shekhawati.
Most of the buildings of the Shekhawati region in Mandawa were constructed in between the 18th century and the early 20th century. During the British occupation, traders adapted this style for their buildings.The havelis are noted for their frescos depicting mythological and historical themes. The frescos include images of gods, goddesses, animals, and the life of the lords Rama and Krishna, profusely painted on the havelis in this region.This region having the largest concentration of frescos in the world.